Friday, February 20, 2009

My day off!

Today was my day off, yeah for me! I feel I was slightly productive today.

I've wanted to mat my own artwork for my Etsy store, as well as buy some canvas. The problem is that the art stores in town are on the other side of town. I usually can get paint and other things at my local hobby stores. Unfortunately, they are still limited on certain things I need. Like I don't mind pre-stretched canvas but I prefer to do it myself. On top of that I had a funny moment at the local Hobby Lobby.

Hobby Lobby was having a 50% off mat board sale. I'd wanted to mat my own work to save money so I didn't need to raise the prices on my artwork, so I couldn't not go and buy a few boards to start with. After choosing 5 mat boards I went in search of mounting tape. Finally, I just decided to ask the people over at the custom framing section because they use mounting tape all the time. After waiting while an older woman got her husbands military metals framed another more impatient woman interrupted and they guy called someone else out. I don't know why people can't be just a little patient, but whatever! Another man comes out and I ask him what kind off tape they use to mat artwork and he tells me: "We use acid-free tape." Well I certainly hope that's what they use, don't you love people you have to pry information out of. So I asked if they sold said tape here to which he replied: "No we just use it not sell it." Maybe I'm the only person that finds this dumb but maybe they have had enough people decide to just pay extra for Hobby Lobby to do it, all because they don't sell the acid-free tape so people can mat their own work. Well I'm made of more stubborn materials than that.

This is where information on the Internet comes in because I wanted to know what to ask for. Several sites recommended archival quality, acid-free, hinging tape. I was now on mission. I figured sense I needed canvas as well I'd see if the art stores sold the tape I needed. Awesome for me they did, even though I had been up all night and was half asleep so I couldn't answer the guys questions, I still found it!
They also had the yupo watercolor paper which I've been looking for and only found online.

See I was awfully productive. Now, I just need to mat my work!

No comments:

Post a Comment