Tuesday, February 10, 2009

Artwork by Meranda Turbak.



I have to admit that, at first, I thought that Etsy only sold illustrations and prints. It took a few seconds for my brain to tell me that original art could be sold, too. Well, duh!

Meranda's was one of the first original shops I came across. I love the eerie, dark, sensualness of her work. It takes the grimy aspects of our world, twisting them into something beautiful. She favors the mixed media of acrylic and pen. Most of her shop is filled with originals, though she does sell prints as well.

When asked about her inspiration she directed me to her profile, which I couldn't write any better:

"I know many artists who sit and agonize over an idea before getting their hands dirty....I am not one of those artists. Sure, I have ideas about what would make an interesting painting...but who can remember? I even have some ideas that I consider good enough to write down....but I find those little scraps of napkin wadded up at the bottom of my purse only to unravel and discover that what was once a noble cause is now just a lame glimpse of a thought provoked by wine and boredom. So, when I feel like painting I paint. I just dig up some old picture I took in like an orphan as I passed the thrift store window just because the frame was pretty...or ugly. Sometimes I put a primer over the old picture. Sometimes I just start throwing colors at it. Either way, I just dig in! Eventually, the paint cooperates with the surface long enough to grow some kind of form I can recognize as interesting. I pursue this growth until I'm either bored, confused, or tired. When I come back to my work with fresh eyes I see things more clearly...hopefully....okay, maybe only about half the time. Anyway, if I like the direction I will start to add detail, maybe with pen or some color, until a story emerges. Initially, I follow the story that is given. Somewhere along the line (not sure exactly where) I take over and make the story fit visually. Or maybe the story controls the visual...it goes back and forth. I guess what I am trying to say is that I allow my subconscious to take over....maybe because I don't want the responsibility...definitely because it keeps things interesting."

I love that she just jumps right into her work because that is something that I had great difficulty doing in the beginning and every now and then I still have to fight the urge to be so... anal, for lack of a better term.
You can visit Meranda here.


Of course, I will feature another Etsy artist this weekend.
I know it's difficult to sift through the art section on Etsy but we all appreciate your support - spread the word (or any other catchy marketing phrase that works for you).

4 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely work - very intriguing images! I hadn't seen Meranda's shop on Etsy before - thanks for introducing me!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Bit of Picasso meets a bit of Dali...

    Thanks much for coming along and following my blog of adventures! :)

    Tina
    Pfeiffer Photos

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice artwork dude thanks for posting.




    Laby[zoot suit]

    ReplyDelete