Monday, February 23, 2009

Artwork by Elizabeth Bauman.



Alright, I have a nasty little cold and can't think clearly. But I'll shoulder through and hopeful give Elizabeth's artwork the awesome feature it deserves. I had something planed out last night but Etsy was down for maintenance and stupid me I didn't write any of it down, so we'll see what comes out of my cold clouded head this morning.

Is it odd that every time I look at Elizabeth's work I think of the movie The Orphanage? Not that I find her work scary, only a little eerie in a child like primitive way. Mostly it's that her work centers around old vintage photographs that she finds disregarded and left behind, like an orphaned child. She then begins to bring them into the present and breaths new hope and life back into them, but with her own more modern twist.

She says she inspired by early American portrait painters, especially untrained ones. Taking from their very naive and raw style. She prefers to paint on wood in either acrylic or oil and occasionally some mixed media on paper. As for the rest of her work she takes from around her home, you'll see a lot of birds and flowers amongst all those vintage portraits.

You can see all the pictures displayed and more by going here. You can also read her blog here.

1 comment: